notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Waste Not...

Mir has begun a new blog about being frugal, Want Not.

When she first told me about it, she said it was going to be about living frugally for real people, who still like to have nice stuff. People who don't want to brew their own coffee in their used stockings and reuse their coffee grounds multiple times, so that they could save that $10 a year or go dumpster diving for discarded but still edible produce.

Okay, she didn't actually say these things, but that is what I thought. I read the Tightwad Gazette. Actually I bought it, which is telling in and of itself about how frugal I am.

I mean I like being frugal, in theory.

Then I read one of her posts about how frugality requires a separate freezer. And I screamed, "I have a freezer!" And I felt so good about my frugalness that I went to zappos.com and browsed pretty shoes .

Already I have learned that sunblock expires and that I shouldn't stockpile it in my basement, no matter how good the sale or how close I think End Times might be. And I found out about a 10% off sale at Overstock that is perfect for Father's Day. And laundry, I love Mir's laundry tips. So go on over there and read, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll become frugal through osmosis. Okay I can't promise you that... but you will laugh. So go on and leave her a comment, today is the public unveiling.

Then she asked me about my grocery bills and I told her how much we spend. And she fainted. After a while she revived, but evidently was brain damaged in the fall because she told me what airline she was flying to Blogher next month. And I decided to fly on that airline too. But then... I found out I could get on the same plane, because every airline wants us New Englanders to crisscross the country, stopping at least three times, turning what could be a three hour tour into an all day long affair, for which we will have to bring our own snacks. Why aren't there any snacks, you ask?

We are flying the cheap airline, see already I am becoming frugal. There aren't even seat assignments, it is first come, first served and this is where Mir's training for her 60 mile walk will come in handy, as she runs, jumps over the defenseless, pushes down the elderly, and secures us two seats together. She has been instructed to grab the barf bag and moan should anyone try to sit next to her.

(The only exception to this is if a NORMAL single male who has all his teeth, is literate, and employed wants to sit next to her. But we have already determined that there are none of them left in the world, so no worries there.)

So hopefully more of her frugal living ideas will rub off on me. Though I do draw the line at fashioning attractive footwear out of the skytop magazines, or a fetching hat out of our personal flotation devices.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I lick you when you sit down next to me on the plane? Because I am totally going to lick you, pretty lady. ;)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Have fun! You must be flying southwest? Have a great trip!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow!!! I must go check out this new blog! I'm a cheapskate...by choice! I LOVE finding ways to save money!!!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

All these new blogs by my favorite writers (including yours at Larger Families) make me so happy!

Have a fun flight with Mir, I can't wait to read the blog posts about that trip.

10:26 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

I own the entire collection of Tightwad Gazette. Not that I do everything she recommends, but I think at least a little of it has worn off...

Mary

10:29 AM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

You may be interested to know of my new discovery: *all* the airlines, not just the cheap one (Southwest? they make you crisscross with the best of 'em) make you bring your own snacks now (which, if you don't have your act totally together, you have to buy at a 300 percent markup in the airport. frugal?). Or at least the ones I've been on recently. It's all a Cheapo Depot.

10:48 AM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

Also! I just spent $200 at Overstock! Wah! I didn't get my 10 percent off!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

ahhhh! i just totally sat down and devored mirs WHOLE new blog....it so goot i bookmarked it and am gonna link it when i get over my dumb cold...

i love love lvoe finding new sites to read!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I hardly every fly anything but Southwest. Once you get used to it you'll love it. Here's a tip. You can checkin online 24 hours before your flight. This will assign you to a boarding group (either A, B, or C) that determines the order in which you board. If you check in online right when you can you usually get in the group A.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Mocha said...

I'm just wondering if Mir considers YOU her snack? If so, will you be licking the person next to you on the plane? And, if so, you may want to ask yourself why you are licking other people who take cheap flights. Unless you are attracted to that. You know?

Ok, so now I'm off to Zappos (again!) thank you very much. I really shouldn't, though, because I spent way too much on my expensive flight for BlogHer next month. Will I see you and Mir at the airport still licking each other?

Think so.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frugal Maine Yankee here from generations of Frugal Maine Yankee stock. I love Mir's new site.

The "I'm going to lick you" line was too funny!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would like to know how to get off the plain first and get front row seats on the cheap airline I know how!

Yes I do.

All you need to do is tell the airline attendant at the boarding gate that you get violently ill on take-off and landing as you suffer from panic attacks. They will put you on the plain last .... don't worry ... and give you the first seats at the front of the plain nearest the exit. Voila, you get on last without any push and shove and you get off first.

No need to thank me now, just send a postcard.

I only know this as I saw a woman do it last time I flew on the cheap airline. We got on first as we had small children and I chose the front two seats. She came on last and was give the seat to my left. She then put her head between her legs and rocked back and forth for ten minutes. On take off she was happily ready her magazine! When I asked what was with the rocking she explained that anyone suffering from panic attacks gets on last and gets off first.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Just be happy the airline won't have you get out and push.

At least, I don't think they do that. Yet.

(we will need to see photo documentation of the journey, of course)

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home